In this episode I interview Cameron Airen, feminist mindset coach and host of Live a Conscious Life podcast. We explore the difference between being an empath versus highly sensitive, ask whether our sensitivity is a blessing or a curse and look at how we can manage our energy so we can create change in the world. We also take a deep dive into the topic of gender, patriarchy and identity. There is so much food for thought in this episode, we really hope you enjoy it!
Topics discussed include:
- What it means to be an empath [02:18]
- Managing your guilt around saying ‘no’ [11:53]
- Family and boundaries – how Cameron manages theirs [15:45]
- Telling the difference between a ‘gut feeling’ and fear-based thinking [22:55]
- Gender reveal parties [30:24]
- Letting go of gender – what are we scared of losing? [33:36]
- Dealing with uncomfortable conversations [48:45]
- Dr. Elaine Aron and her test to discover if you’re highly sensitive.
- The Handmaid’s Tale – a dystopian TV drama based on the novel by Margaret Atwood.
- Brave New World – a dystopian novel by Aldous Huxley
- Marie Forleo
- Queer Eye – Trailer
- Gender Outlaw by Kate Bornstein
- Alok Vaid-Menon on What it’s Like to be Femme in Public (I didn’t mention this but please do watch this!)
About Cameron Airen
Cameron Airen is a Feminist Mindset Coach, Gender Consultant, Mentor, writer and podcaster helping passionate feminists feel more confident, at ease, and create the change they want in their lives and in the world! They also help solo entrepreneurs, creatives and leaders increase their gender and social awareness so they can be more conscious and create the kind of change they want.
Cam has a Masters degree in Anthropology & Social Change, a B.A. in Women & Gender Studies. She has 14+ years of experience studying gender, feminism, sexuality, social change and internalized oppression, and 10+ years helping clients connect to and take care of their bodies, emotions and minds, and supporting folks to grow more into themselves and create more powerful change in the world.
Cam uses she/they pronouns. They live nomadically and work with clients all over the globe.
About the Host – Lisa Pascoe
Lisa is an Intuitive Master NLP Practitioner, and Recovering Perfectionist. She is on a mission to help empaths and highly sensitives to tap into their inner wisdom, and thrive in a noisy, modern world.
Lisa currently lives in Southsea with her partner Bekky and their wire-haired sausage dog Henry. She has a penchant for cake, oracle cards and walks in the woods.
Website | Instagram | Facebook | Nourishing Notes