Today on the Bravehearts Rising Podcast I’m talking to the wonderful Nova Reid. Often described as a force to be reckoned with, she is a diversity and anti-rascism campaigner. Nova is a passionate advocate for equality and helping people be the change they want to see in the world. In 2019 she delivered a powerful TEDx talk entitled Not All Superheroes Wear Capes: How You Have The Power to Change the World.
In this honest and frank discussion we dive into the topics of racism, privilege and unconscious bias. We talk about the importance of self awareness, the powerful silent majority and Nova offers up non confrontational ways to be an ally.
This is such an important topic and I hope you get a lot from our conversation.
Topics Covered Include:
- The importance of awareness and your map of the world [08:25]
- Brene Brown, boundaries and being in the arena [18:47]
- Where can I be most of service and non-confontational ways non-confrontational ways to be an ally [21:38]
- Unconscious bias and getting curious [27:27]
- The problem with ‘I don’t see colour’ [34:17]
- What is white supremacy really? [38:56]
- What do we mean by privilege? [52:22]
- Nova’s TEDx talk – Not All Superheroes Wear Capes: How You Have The Power to Change the World
- Project Love Interview with Nova: EP 73: A powerful conversation about race, racism and white privilege with Nova Reid
- Harvard Implicit Bias Tests
- White Skinned Privilege Study by Theodore W. Allen
- Unlocking Us with Brene Brown – Alicia Keys and Brené on More Myself
- Why I’m no longer talking to White People about Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge – The Sunday Times Best Seller
About Nova Reid
Often described as a force to be reckoned with, Nova Reid is a diversity and anti-racism campaigner and consultant who uses her professional background in mental wellbeing to focus on mindset change, working with organisations and individuals to improve diversity and systems of discrimination from the inside-out. Nova has worked with leading social justice organisations including Change.org, is a popular keynote speaker, and regular mentor at the Southbank Centre’s Women of the World (WOW) Festival.
In March 2019 Nova was invited to lead a panel at the UK’s first SHE Summit. In the same month she was honoured to be named one of the Top 100 Black British Women by the Black Magic Network, as part of International Women’s Day 2019 and was recently nominated for a National Diversity Award. Nova regularly appears on leading media including BBC News, Sky News and BBC Radio as an expert on race and diversity matters and in 2018, Nova was invited to attend the Royal Wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to provide expert media commentary. She is has written for publications including Refinery29 UK and Restless Magazine, and is also founder of multi award-winning wedding media entity and London show, Nu Bride, the leading inclusive platform dedicated to diversity in the mainstream wedding industry.
Nova is a passionate advocate for equality and helping people be the change they want to see in the world.
Website | Instagram | TEDx Talk
About Your Host – Lisa Pascoe
I’m Lisa and I’m an Intuitive Life Coach. I am on a mission to help sensitive souls like you to tap into your inner guidance, and be gentle with yourself as you navigate the world and your purpose. I do this through 1:1 coaching, soul-nourishing circles and events.